One Eventful Meeting..

It's been a while since I've written, partly due to being unwell and that the boys were having their mid-term exams. Praise to God, I'm slowly getting into the momentum again since then.......There has been some interesting events since I last wrote. One being this event meeting.... 

I enjoy having good conversations about family and life. It gives me opportunity to reflect on myself.  I met a nice lady and we had a nice ad-hoc conversation. We decided to meet up again for coffee and to resume where we left off. Being a career lady, she was curious as to what a Stay-at-home-mum like me do all day. She asked me about what I do in the morning, afternoon and evening. One thing for sure, even though a SAHM has a daily routine, there are lots in-between errands that sort of fills up the entire day. Of course that doesn't include the household chores and tutoring the kids. Then it strikes me, do we ask a working person what she does when she reaches the office, or what she does after submitting that report, before lunch....before tea-break... etc. Probably because a SAHM doesn't have a formal 'job scope' makes her wonder so. Then during the conversation I realized, when you have all chores, errands and tutoring 'outsourced' to other parties, yes, you too will wonder why we choose to do these ourselves. My answer: personal choice and personal satisfaction.

She asked me why is it so important for me to stay home and attend to the family personally. My answer was that little things mean a lot to me, I don't want to miss seeing my kids grow up and one parent should be around, 'grounded', and be in close touch with the family.. To me, parenting is a serious commitment and I am obligated to be there to carry out that role. I personally feel that we can't afford to have both parents too busy with their career thus leaving the children to be tended by a babysitter, maid or childminders. They need attention, our time and affection. On the other hand, she was trying to convince me that most women lack financial freedom because they easily submit to cultural norms that women should stay home instead of acquiring financial independence. I admit, financial independence is important for a woman, but it is not 'the' main thing. When you have a family with children, your priority changes.

In the end, even though she couldn't see my point of view, I'm very glad I voiced my heartfelt opinion and that there should be mutual respect to whichever path one chooses. There is no such thing as "this is the better way" option. When you choose a path, you adapt to it and work your way through. What's important is that you do not neglect your obligations and responsibilities, which to me, is the family.

I may not have a formal job like some women, but I know I am doing my contribution to society my way. If you think that you'd rather make full use of your time in helping others, you can start with helping and paying attention to your children and family for a start. Because they are your first priority.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sheen Mars is a SAHM who is on a journey of continuous learning. She especially enjoys exploring and sharing her personal thoughts and opinions, as she reflects on her life as a SAHM. Discover more about Sheen's Thoughts at =>> http://missionpossible-sahm.blogspot.com/search/label/Sheen's%20Thoughts

Comments

  1. Personal Note: I have utmost respect for all career women out there who do not short-change their time towards the family for success in the career and that despite the career demands still makes effort to priorities family concerns
    - Sheen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do share your thoughts... :)

Popular Posts