PRUNE CAKE WITH WALNUTS and CHOC DRIZZLE

I have this weakness for tangy cakes, apart from chocolate cakes of course. Considering that I have not baked for about 1 week, I felt this strong urge to bake something. I was flipping through the few recipe books I have and found this one by Chef Wan. Such a beauty! Oh and did I mention that it doesn't use any butter. However, I find the plain part a little crumbly and dry, but the Choc Prune portions is moist plus tangy, and somewhat made up for it. Maybe I should have roasted the nuts before using them in the recipe for extra crunch. Overall verdict - Scrumptious!


I substituted apricot jam for marmalade, as that's the only jam I have at the moment. I added raisins as I didn't have enough prunes as I was munching on them earlier...heheee!!


What you need:
250gm Prunes (seeded)
Juice of 1/2 orange
** marinate prunes in orange juice for at least 3 hours.


3 tablespoons of almond slivers.


4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups of castor sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
1 1/4 cups of whipping cream - whisked for about 1 minute.

2 cups of Self-raising Flour
3 tablespoons of apricot jam 
1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup cocoa powder



Chocolate - melted to drizzle on cooled cake.


Method:


- Marinade prunes in orange juice for at least 3 hours.
- Grease well a 23cm chiffon pan and sprinkle almond slivers at the base.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and lemon zest till light and fluffy. ( I used a hand-mixer). Fold in the flour. Divide batter into 2 portions: 2/3 and 1/3. Pour the 2/3 batter into the prepared pan.
- Add Jam, walnuts, prunes and cocoa to the 1/3 batter. Mix well. Pour over the plain batter in the pan. Use a knife and create marble swirls.
- Bake in a preheated over 170deg C for about 1-1 1.4 hrs or till cake is done when checked with skewer.


- When cake is cooled, melt chocolate and drizzle on cake.


Enjoy!!


1 cups of walnuts

Comments

  1. Hullo Sheen!

    I'm Zara from A Fabric Case. Just want you to know that I've presented you with an award - you can read all about it on my blog. I found your blog from Handmade by FarahLin. Your dishes always look yummilicious! But I'm a really sorry cook, so I'll enjoy your food by proxy ok?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zara! I'm so honored! Thanks so much for visiting and presenting me with this Award. I personally feel, everyone can cook. It just needs practice. But to be fair, I can't sew, heheee. I'd love to try it someday. But I do have to 'make time' for it though. By the way, my recipes are all easy ones, and they don't require much ingredients or complicated methods. So it's definitely a must-try. You take care and all the best for your future crafty endevours! See you :)

      Delete
  2. Tried and tested - yum yumm indeed! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for trying! So glad it turned out great :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Do share your thoughts... :)

Popular Posts