Belgian Waffles

My son loves waffles.
We usually would buy some from Daily Fresh Kiosks which can be easily be found in almost every mall here. Each would cost around RM4++ with selected toppings.

It was not till that fateful day when I saw the kiosk crew mixing a new batch of waffle mix, all from a pre-mixed pack of flour and then adding some liquid into a cake mixer. What's in that pre-mix I wonder?? 
Preservatives, additives.......Wallahua'lam (only Allah knows). Sorry...I don't wish to offend anyone here (maybe I'm just being paranoid).Then I wonder wouldn't it be better if I make these myself, knowing well what goes in those waffles and have some peace of mind.

So I went to look up for some recipes and found this one most satisfying. It makes up to about 18 pieces where you can pack any balance in an airtight ziplock back, keep in the fridge for about 3 days and warm it up in the toaster anytime you want a snack. What's important is it tastes good and has that wonderful crunch!


Ok, here goes :)

You'll need:

2 cups of plain flour

4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 cup castor sugar
2 eggs separated yolks from whites
1/2 cup oil (any cooking oil except coconut or olive oil)
2 cups of fresh milk
*optional - 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
Add sugar.

Make a well in the center and pour in the oil, milk and add the egg yolks. Mix well with a hand whisk. Put aside.
In another bowl whisk egg whites till stiff. Gently fold egg white into flour/oil/yolk mix.

Add vanilla and cinnamon powder if using.

Heat your waffle griddle and start making :)

Easy Peasy!


Comments

Popular Posts