APAM PISANG (Steamed Banana Cupcakes)



As it is the month of Ramadhan, I have told myself to stay simple in my preparations for Iftar (breaking of fast).Mr. Hubby has also reminded us that we shall continue to eat normal foods, as how we do in our usual meals. I realize that we tend to overdo on food preparations because we are so concerned about filling up our hungry stomachs and at times even resulting to wastage when so much food is prepared or those bought from the huge food bazaars ended up not eaten. In view of this, even though I love to cook and bake, I'll try to make it simple. God willing.


I'd like to share this simple dessert I made on the first day of fasting, something traditional - Apam Pisang. It's really simple, and I even used a blender to help me prepare. You can either eat it on its own or you can sprinkle some grated coconut on top for added taste and texture. I made them in small cups lined with mini cupcake cases (acuan kuih lompang). Result - simple and tastes good.


All you need:


Steamer (prepared with rapidly hot boiling water)
Small cups lined with paper casings.


3 bananas (medium sized)
1 cup of brown sugar( you may use regular white sugar if you prefer)
1/2 cup of evaporated milk
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
2 eggs
a drop of banana essence (optional)
2 cups of all purpose/plain flour
1 tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda


optional: grated coconut and a pinch of salt to taste.


Place bananas, sugar, milk, eggs and oil in a blender. Process till smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
Sift flour and soda into batter and mix well to ensure no lumps.
Fill up cups with batter and steam for about 20 mins.


Make sure you line the steamer cover with a cloth to avoid water from dripping into the cakes.


If you prefer the cakes to blossom (kembang dan merekah), leave the batter (covered) to sit (perap) for about 2 hours before filling up the cups to steam.


Makes about 35 small steamed cupcakes.


Happy Iftar!

Comments

Popular Posts