We love Donuts!

Recently, my older son was asking me to get him some sugared donuts. So, I went to the nearby supermarket, hoping to get them when I get my groceries. But the donuts rack was empty. I went back the next day hoping that they would re-stock these, but they didn't. Hmmm.....I had a thought. Why don't I make some myself! I googled for the recipe and I got one. I made half-portion of the recipe and guess what....they tasted great! Just like store-bought donuts. 

I'm so glad! At least I know what's in the donuts that we're eating now. And it's a HIT at home since then :)

I used vegetable shortening  (Kijang Brand) for this recipe.

Donuts

makes about 20pcs

2        teaspoon yeast
1/4    cup warm water
1 1/2 cup warm milk
1/2    cup sugar
1/2     tspn salt
2        eggs (slightly beaten)
1/3  cup shortening
5     cups All-purpose flour

Oil for frying donuts

Method:
- Sprinkle yeast over the warm water and let stand till foamy.

- In a large bowl, add yeast mix, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and half of the flour. Using a mixer or wooden spoon, stir mixture.

- Continue to add flour, 1/2 cup at a time until the dough doesn't stick to the bowl.. Knead for about 5 mins.

- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a towel and let proof until double the size.

- If you're using a breadmachine, add ingredients according to manufacturer's instructions and choose 'dough' mode.

- Remove dough, knock dough and let rest for about 10 mins. Roll out till 2cm thick and cut using a donut cutter. Place on a floured tray and cover with a plastic to proof to double the size.

- When ready, heat up some oil and gently fry both sides till golden. 

- Toss donuts in sugar + cinnamon.

- You may even drizzle melted chocolate or icing sugar glaze with colour sprinkles. Whatever your heart desires.

Enjoy!


Sheen Mars is a SAHM with 2 lovely boys who loves the simple pleasures of home-cooked meals. Get more scrumptious   ideas on Sheen's Tea-time and Simple Desserts Treats (Western and Asian).

You may also like
Cinnamon Rolls














            


Comments

Popular Posts