SAHM = Tai-Tai (Lady of Leisure)....?

I have the privilege of sharing a note written by sis Ain. An honest and heartfelt point of view.
I can definitely relate to this, because I have also been assumed to be a Tai-Tai...or Lady of Leisure. However, through the years I have learnt to accept and deal with this misconception. I am proud to be a SAHM, and I am proud of all the ladies who take the challenge of putting the family as a priority regardless, if they are career person or just a SAHM  :)


Read on....


In the World of Tai-Tai Hood.....

by Ain Rahman on Tuesday, 11 January 2011 at 00:26

Just because I am A SAHM, doesn't qualify me as a Tai-Tai.... To qualify as a Tai Tai, one has to have lots of leisure time, lots of money to spend and lots of gossip to exchange. 

Real Tai Tai's meet the following criteria:
1.  A tremendous amount of leisure time
2.  Lots of money to spend.  A Tai Tai  travels a lot
3.  Concerned about status, social standing, and owning the 'latest in anything" that is remotely hot (ie: Pashminas. Fendi Baguette Bag,....) 
God Forbid a Tai Tai be seen with last year's style!
4.  Keenly interested ih beauty upkeep (Pedicures / manicures/ facials/ slimming treatments)  Will stop at nothing to eradicate the tiniest sign of ageing.
5.  Often associated with do-good charity works and community.
6.  Discerning about the company she keeps.  Must be in the right social circles
7.  Well educated  and global in perspective.  Has lived on more than one continents.  Experience and detail  are what distinguishes  a real tai tai from the wanna-be's.
8.  Buy in multiples and only the real thing.  To get a better price and for their other homes in New York, London, Hong Kong, Vancouver and Singapore, they will bargain.
If Shopping were an Olympic Event,  a Tai Tai would win!
Well, I don't think I am a Tai-Tai yet, cos I still have a whole bunch of housework and child-minding that I need to do. So, stop  saying that my life is so senang like a Tai-Tai
as I haven't met with the criterias above... (Wish I could be one though... : P)

**Thank you sis Ain for this honest Note :)


----------------------------------------------------

Sheen Mars is a SAHM who is on a journey of continuous learning and she especially enjoys sharing information and having friends share thoughts and stories - for her and everyone to reflect on. Read Sheen's Sharing Notes at =>> http://missionpossible-sahm.blogspot.com/search/label/Sharing%20Notes






Comments

  1. I am so glad i found dis blog =) alot of people have d misconception of SAHM being a tai-tai. I dun regret being an SAHM. Firstly, Family IS a priority. Dun wanna miss my kids' developmental milestone and i wanna know what they're eating and simply just b there for them (Bonding time!!!) However, it seems lyk some people view me as a lady having lotsa leisure and rest time saying i'm having it easy. For me being an SAHM is a challenge, coz it's 24hrs non-stop. Lotsa juggling, multi-tasking, problem-solving here and there with no fixed lunch time. No matter how ppl view me, all i noe is i am happy dat by being an SAHM i hav indeed grown stronger den i was before inside and out =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear,
      Thanks so much for sharing! Yes, I do admit I've been a 'victim' of these misconceptions myself. But, through the years, I've told myself "Hey this is Great! Not everyone get to do this. I'm grateful. I have first hand experience of raising my children and managing the family. I'm blessed."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Do share your thoughts... :)

Popular Posts